Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Budapest encounter--and no, I'm not Russian

Photo by RitaE, Pixabay.com (my own gyros disappeared too quickly)
Coming up the stairs from the Budapest subway and needing a quick bite to eat, I stopped by the Döner Kebab kiosk for a nice, spicy gyros.  The guy who took my order tilted his head slightly as he listened to my Hungarian, commenting politely, “I perceive that you may not be from around here…are you Russian?” Not the guess they usually make when they hear my accent!  He was amazed when he heard that I'm American, and asked how it is that I speak his language...it's a difficult one, and most Americans don't bother to learn more than just enough to get by.


The conversation continued as he put together my order, and I explained who we are and why we are here. I told him that the Lord loves Hungary and the Hungarians - as He does all people - and that He sent us to share that good news.  Instead of scoffing or giving me the "you're crazy" stare, he asked simply, "When you say, 'the Lord,' are you talking about Jesus?" 


At my "Yes!" his face broke out in a big grin.  Apparently this young fellow and I had something in common! Unfortunately the customer who had come up behind me was also hungry and we couldn't continue to chat, but as I grabbed my fragrant bag of dinner and stepped apologetically out of the way, Döner Kebab guy called out a "God bless you!"


Praise God for this "chance encounter" that encouraged both of us!  Pray for the young man and others like him who have a Story to tell, that they will fearlessly and lovingly talk about Jesus with those they meet throughout the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful encounter!